One of my favorite things about being a realtor is becoming a resource of information for our clients. We often get asked, ‘What is there to do in Prescott?’. Luckily, the answer is that there are many things to do in Prescott, even for the kids.
There are valid reasons that Prescott, Arizona, is dubbed as “Everyone’s Hometown.” With Prescott’s perfect climate and four distinct but gentle seasons, everyone gets to have fun!
You can first start with Prescott’s charming downtown. Upscale shops and restaurants, art and antiques, and everything in between! Prescott has an old-fashioned town square with a historic courthouse, but what surrounds it is anything but old-fashioned.
Prescott is an excellent place for an active lifestyle. You can kayak at Watson Lake, hike, bike, ride horses or quad in the National Forest, or play at one of our many signature golf courses. Also, dogs love Prescott! Prescott is a very dog-friendly community, complete with a beautiful dog park.
But what about the kids? With the high retirement population, it is common for grandchildren to visit the area. You will be pleased to know that there is an abundance of options to do with your family and kids (or grandkids!) in Prescott. To give you a little help, we have put a list together that can help you plan your visit.
Gripstone: Prescott, AZ
- Gripstone Prescott Arizona offers rock climbing, bouldering, yoga, a cafe, and a pro-shop. No previous climbing experience is necessary, and after a quick 30-minute video and hands-on tutorial, you will be ready to climb. Climbers under 14 years old must be accompanied by a participating adult over 18 years old. Children under 14 are welcome, and harnesses are available for tiny children. They have even had 2-year-old climbers!
- Pricing starts at $16 for adults, and the pass lasts all day. It’s a full-body workout, it’s fun, and it’s great for all ages! You can leave for lunch and come back later for more climbing.
Jarz of Clay: Prescott, AZ
- At Jarz of Clay, you pick a pottery piece from hundreds of different options. You then paint your selection, and then it will be glazed and fired. Within 4-5 days, you can then pick up your glazed pottery! Jarz of Clay is located at the Prescott Gateway Mall outside the village shops.
- The studio fee includes the price of each item. The studio fee includes the paint, use of tools, and the glazing/firing process. Canvas and wood paintings are also available. This activity is perfect for all ages.
Heritage Park Zoo: Prescott, AZ
- Visit Prescott’s local zoo! Heritage Park Zoo is located on 10 acres and overlooks Willow Lake. Heritage Park Zoological Sanctuary offers the Tarantula Grotto and Reptile House, with the Tarantula Grotto being one of the largest public displays of spiders in the country. While the Reptile House houses Gila monsters, iguanas, geckos, and even a 13-foot Burmese python.
- The Heritage Park Zoo loves saving animals and giving them a home. Housed at the zoo is an American Black Bear that was orphaned, a gray fox found alone and half-drowned, and a mountain lion that was illegally kept as a pet in Arizona. Along with this, the zoo participates in the American Zoo and Aquarium Association’s Species Survival Plan by saving endangered species such as the Mexican Gray Wolf.
- Heritage Park Zoo hosts special events throughout the year, including Zoofest, Eggstravaganza, Boo at the Zoo, moonlight events, and Zoo Camp for kids. The zoo is open every day of the year. You can view admission prices here.
- Heritage Park Zoo Event Calendar
While these are only a few options, I hope this may give you a jump-start on what activities are available for entertainment in the Prescott Area! Below are some additional items that may interest you:
- Sharlot Hall Museum, Prescott, AZ
- Mortimer Farms, Dewey-Humboldt, AZ
- In the Game Freedom Station, Prescott Valley, AZ
We enjoy spending family time in Prescott! If you need more information on what Prescott has to offer, give us a call, and we can “Talk Prescott”!