Prescott, Arizona, covered in a blanket of snow, is breathtaking! Match that with Christmas lights, and it truly makes it the most magical time of year. With the temperature drop, you may notice an unwelcome increase in your heating bill. Here are some tips on how to lower your heating bill and still stay cozy this winter:
- Weather Stripping: The most critical and common step to take in lowering your heating bill is ensuring no gaps around doors or windows. The best way to do this is by weather stripping. Weather stripping creates a barrier between the cold outdoors and will help keep your house warm.
- Cover Your Water Heater: Insulating your water heater can reduce the energy it takes to heat the water and save you money. This simple project can be done in an afternoon or less, and a water heater blanket can be found for $20 – $40 at most hardware stores.
- Turn Down Your Water Heater Temperature: Consider dropping your water heater temperature from 140F/60C to a safe but reasonable 120F/49C. This will help reduce the energy used for heating the water while still providing enough hot water for everyday needs.
- Invest in a Programmable Thermostat: Set your thermostat lower than usual during the day when no one is home, then raise it closer to what you find comfortable when people are present. This will save money on energy bills without having a noticeable impact on comfort levels.
- Swap Out Your Furnace Filters: Dirty filters block air from freely moving through your system, making it work harder and use more energy. Replacing the filters every 60 days will help promote better airflow throughout your home and save you money in the long run.
- Change Your Curtains: Use thicker curtains to help keep out the cold winter air. This simple addition can make a big difference!
- Service Your Furnace: Annual maintenance on your furnace can help catch any minor problems before they become more prominent, more expensive issues. It will also ensure the unit is running efficiently and not wasting energy.
Following these simple tips, you can stay warm this winter while keeping your heating bill low! With a little effort and just a few dollars, you can quickly reduce your heating costs and enjoy the winter months without worry. Remember, wearing extra layers around the house is an essential factor in staying warm! Have some cozy sweaters, fluffy socks, and warm blankets handy to keep everyone comfortable as temperatures drop. Enjoy Prescott’s beauty while having peace of mind knowing that you’re doing all you can to save money this winter. Happy Holidays!