Have you been living with a single-bathroom home? Is the time here to consider adding an extra full-bathroom or “water closet” to your existing layout? First, know that of all the renovations you can make to a single-bathroom home, adding an extra bathroom is one of the soundest investments you can make. With rare exception, the money you put into a second bathroom should pay handsomely when you list your house in the future. The bathroom is one of the most-used rooms in your home and it can have a profound impact on how prospective buyers see your home in the future. If you’ve been curious about the process or want to make the leap to a two-bathroom home without relocating, you’ll want to keep some tips in mind about this special renovation project.
- Think about where you can add a bathroom versus where you think it’s ideal. You’ll want to identify where your existing water and waste lines are in the home. Adding a bathroom across the house ups the complexity and expense.
- Single-story homes with crawl spaces have a bit more flexibility for adding a bathroom since crawl spaces provide easy access for running plumbing lines. If you have a two-story house, aligning your new bathroom (either upstairs or down) with your existing one can ease plumbing challenges.
- Adding a tub can add value, especially if you suspect future buyers might have children.
- Natural light and ventilation are a big plus. While fans are common and should be installed, being able to draw in sunlight or air out a bathroom via an exterior wall can really upgrade the luxury feel.
- Choose high-end design fixtures where possible, especially if the bathroom is small. Innovative luxury options can make the room feel larger and really add that “wow” factor. Consider separating the toilet from the rest of the room via a “water closet” partitioning. Go with neutral palettes and classic tiles for a timeless effect. You can always jazz up the space with rugs, towels, or other bath accessories.
As mentioned, if you are looking at listing your home, money put into an additional bathroom is a smart investment. Reported in Remodeling Magazine in 2017, a bathroom costing roughly $43,000, boosted a home’s value by nearly $23,000. This gives you more than a 53% return on your investment. While not everyone has that renovation budget, that is okay! Any investment in your bathroom can help boost your home’s value.
If adding a bathroom sounds like more hassle than it’s worth, you might want to consider your next move! I’d be happy to help you find a home with your dream bathroom already included! Contact me at today: (928) 916-1921.